This healthy, comforting meal is grain free and seriously simple. Originally, I wasn’t planning on turning this dish into a recipe— I just wanted to cook something in less than 30 minutes with what was already in my kitchen. Our neighbor gave us a huge butternut squash fresh from their garden, and ummmm WOW. Let’s just say I will be attempting to grow squash in our garden now! It was soooo much more flavorful than the ones we get at the store. Anyway, this turkey and butternut squash bake is a true example of a quick + easy (and tasty!) weeknight meal that doesn’t require too many ingredients. I hope you love!
30-Minute Turkey and Butternut Squash Bake
Serving Size: 4-6
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 butternut squash, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large handfuls spinach (1-2 cups)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and sage for 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey and brown, another 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, black pepper, and sea salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and transfer entire mixture to 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top and bake for 15 minutes.