This cozy, comforting soup is the perfect fall or winter weeknight meal. The combination of flavors— parmesan, Italian sausage, tomato, and fluffy cheese tortellini— come together for the most satisfying 30-minute meal. Serve alongside a fresh salad and warm crusty french bread. So delicious!
Creamy Tomato Sausage Tortellini Soup
Serving Size: 4-5
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 cup whole milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best!)
- a few handfuls chopped kale
- a few handfuls chopped spinach
- freshly chopped basil
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and sea salt. Stir together and break up sausage into small pieces. Brown sausage for 7-8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and vegetable stock. Stir together and bring to boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add tortellini and cook until softened, according to package instructions. Turn off heat and stir in whole milk and parmesan cheese. (Optional: stir in a few handfuls of kale or spinach.) Once everything is heated through and well combined, serve and enjoy this cozy meal!
This soup looks amazing can’t wait to try it.
Thank you, Jennifer! I hope you love it!! 🙂