Happy All Hallow’s Eve, friends!!! What better way to celebrate than with some easy homemade treats inspired by the most iconic halloween candy of all time?? (You know you always tried to trade your friends + siblings like five Almond Joys for ONE Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup….) These pb cups aren’t just your average ones though— they are DARK chocolate SEA SALT peanut butter cups. Nothin’ too crazy or fancy, but just a liiittle elevated + special.
5 ingredients are all you need
Doesn’t get much more simple than this! All ya need is…
- Dark chocolate (but you can use any kind of chocolate you’d like)
- Coconut oil
- Natural creamy peanut butter
- Sea salt
Literally so easy.
Plus, you are saving money by not buying candy (is it just me or does the price of Halloween candy shock you every year??) AND you are cutting down on waste from all those orange wrappers that would otherwise end up in your trash can…. IT’S A WIN-WIN.
The perfect after-dinner sweet
If you have a major sweet tooth like I do and tend to have ice cream multiple nights a week after dinner….. these are kinda a game-changer. Let me tell you why— they are:
- Ideal for late night chocolate cravings
- Easy to make a bunch of, freeze, and then keep on-hand for whenever your sweet tooth hits
- You know exactly what the ingredients are (and can actually pronounce them unlike many store-bought sweets)
- I mean, the combo of chocolate, peanut butter, and sea salt pretty much satisfies every craving a human could have
- It’s the perfect size for just a liiiittle treat, ya know when you’re not hungry at all but it would just be so nice to enjoy a bite of something rich + chocolatey
Have I convinced you yet? They are perfect to keep in your freezer preeeetty much all year round. And my ice cream consumption has decreased about 50%, which is a significant win in my book.
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Peanut Butter Cups
Serving Size: 12 cups
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes + 30 minutes of freeze time
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, chips or baking chocolate (I like 60-70%)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Peanut Butter Layer
Sea salt for sprinkling on top at the end
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In one bowl, mix together chocolate layer ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together peanut butter layer ingredients.
- Microwave chocolate layer ingredients in 20-30 second increments, stirring after each round until chocolate is completely smooth. (Tip: If the chocolate chips are just about melted but not quite, you probably don’t need to microwave anymore. You just need to keep stirring— you don’t want the chocolate to burn!)
- Spoon about two teaspoons of chocolate into each cup, using up about half the chocolate (reserving the other half for the top chocolate layer). Gently shake the muffin tin until the chocolate is evenly spread out in each cup. If you want perfectly even layers, stick into the freezer for a few minutes while completing the next step. If you don’t mind slightly uneven layers you don’t need to freeze between steps (this is what I do).
- Microwave peanut butter layer ingredients in 20-second increments, stirring after each round, until smooth. This will take less time than the chocolate ingredients.
- Remove muffin tin from the freezer and spoon about two teaspoons of the peanut butter mixture evenly over each cup. Again, gently shake the muffin tin until the peanut butter layer is evenly spread out. If desired, place back into the freezer for a few minutes.
- Spoon the remaining chocolate mixture evenly on top of the peanut butter layer, and gently shake the muffin tin once more. Sprinkle with sea salt and place in freezer for 30 minutes or until set. Enjoy!
Note: I prefer to keep these frozen, but you could also refrigerate. Just don’t leave them out on the counter, or they will melt 🙂
I hope you thoroughly enjoy these decadent little treats as much as I do— let me know what you think in the comments!
And if you like this recipe, I think you’d also enjoy my…