Not only is this dish naturally low-carb, gluten-free, Whole30, keto, and paleo friendly….. it’s the perfect weeknight meal even if you don’t follow any diet at all + you simply like delicious, easy, healthy meals. Plus, an egg roll in a bowl is just kind of fun 🙂
There are plenty of ways to make this dish your own or make substitutions if you don’t have something.
- No sesame oil in your cabinet? Use olive or coconut oil instead.
- Prefer shredded chicken over ground turkey or pork? Go for it.
- Want to add extra veggies? Mushrooms + water chestnuts would be excellent additions.
- Interested in trying broccoli slaw instead of a traditional coleslaw mix? Sounds perfect.
- Don’t have coconut aminos (and aren’t following a specific diet)? Tamari or soy sauce would work just fine.
The options for this dish are endless! You really can’t mess it up— go crazy with substitutions + make this meal your own.
Flavorful, filling, and 100% guilt-free
This is one of those meals you can have a verrrry hearty portion of and feel good about. It’s absolutely packed with nutrients + will leave you feeling nourished.
And the flavors from the garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and coconut aminos??? Seriously. Amazing.
Aaaand this dish makes great leftovers for lunch. All your coworkers will want the recipe 😉
Egg Roll in a Bowl
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey or pork
- 2 large carrots, shredded (to shred, I use a vegetable peeler and then roughly chop. It doesn’t have to be perfect—just thin enough to be cooked through in 10 minutes on the stove. But here’s a video tutorial for more detailed instructions!)
- 2-3 cups broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 bag (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (you can also sub tamari or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sriracha, optional
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add ground turkey and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In another large pan, heat up 1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add fresh ginger and cook 1-2 more minutes. Stir in the broccoli, carrots, and red pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes. Finally, stir in coleslaw mix and coconut aminos. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium-low and make a well in the center of the pan. Crack eggs into the center of the pan and scramble. Once eggs are cooked through (a couple of minutes), stir in with the rest of the mixture. Stir in ground turkey, cilantro, and green onion.
- Drizzle sriracha on top if desired.
If you like this meal, you might also like my garlic ginger cashew vegetable stir fry!