Do you love Thai food? Do you love pizza? Me too. Let’s make some magic by combining the two! I am absolutely obsessed with homemade pizza and anything Thai food, so this Healthy Thai Chicken Flatbread Pizza is the perfect homemade meal. And it happens to be the most-loved recipe on Nourish with Nik!
Let me just tell ya about this sauce…
It’s INCREDIBLE. It’s so flavorful and the perfect balance of sweet with a little heat. I can’t get over it. I’m currently dreaming up other ways to use this Thai Peanut Sauce in other recipes.
Feel free to add more red pepper flakes if you like a lot of heat or not add quite as much if you’re sensitive to spicy.
The first time I made this sauce, it was a little too thick from the peanut butter. The second time I made it, I added more water and it was perfect. Try as you go, and add a tablespoon of water at a time to get the sauce to your desired consistency!
Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting a natural peanut butter. The kind where the oil separates and you have to stir it first. We get ours from Costco, but it looks like they also sell the Kirkland brand on Amazon. I just don’t think this sauce would be the same with any ‘ol jar of Skippy or Jif.
Speaking of delicious sauces, have you tried my Garlic Ginger Cashew Stir Fry? It features another one of my favorite easy sauces to make at home.
So many flatbread + crust options!
We found whole wheat artisan flatbread from Aldi (where my Aldi people at?!) — and we love it.
We also tried a cauliflower pizza crust, which was delicious too! I personally like the crust to be a little on the heartier side, which is why we love the Aldi flatbread. If you don’t have Aldi near you, this option on Amazon looks amazing!
Alright, let’s get into the recipe!
Healthy Thai Chicken Flatbread Pizza
Serving Size: 4-6
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 2 flatbreads (you could also use naan, pita, pizza crust, or cauliflower crust)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
Thai Peanut Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2-1.5 teaspoons red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks (to shred, I use a vegetable peeler and then roughly chop. It doesn’t have to be perfect—just thin enough to be cooked through in 10 minutes in the oven. But here’s a video tutorial for more detailed instructions!)
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl. Start with 1/3 cup of water and feel free to add more one tablespoon at a time until the sauce is your desired thickness. It’s going to seem like you added too much water at first, but you didn’t— just keep whisking with a fork! Then, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned and just about cooked through (no more pink).
- Meanwhile, line two pans with foil and place one flatbread onto each. Brush each flatbread with about half of the sauce mixture, reserving a few tablespoons to drizzle on at the end if you’d like.
- Remove chicken from pan and place into bowl used to make sauce. Add one tablespoon of soy sauce and one tablespoon of cilantro. Toss chicken to coat.
- Top each flatbread with mozzarella, carrots, broccoli, green onion and chicken.
- Cook on a foil-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned and crispy. Drizzle remaining sauce mixture over each flatbread, and sprinkle with cilantro.
Hope you love this unique flatbread recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments!!