My husband and I have made all kinds of power bowl variations, but this one is our go-to. It’s a staple in our household and has become our signature dish. Hence the name, The Presser Bowl — our version of a healthy power bowl!
It’s a no-brainer weeknight meal that’s nutritious, satisfying, and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe is really more of a guide (as are many Nourish with Nik recipes) — swap out whichever veggies, grain, and protein you have on hand. Make it your own!
What is a power bowl?
There isn’t ONE definition of a power bowl. The way I define it is an all-in-one meal in a bowl that includes:
- a grain
- a protein (optional)
Some people like to include leafy greens, dressing, and toppings. I usually like to keep it reeeal simple though.
The Presser Bowl typically consists of:
- Grain: Quinoa (a frozen microwavable pack with chickpeas, kale, and red peppers)
- Vegetables: Brussels sprouts, carrots, onion
- Protein: Chicken sausage, turkey kielbasa, or eggs (sometimes we omit altogether)
- Toppings: Avocado, sharp cheddar cheese, and hot sauce
The variations are truly endless — you can customize a power bowl in a million different ways to fit your preferences + what ingredients you have on hand!
Healthy Power Bowl Ingredient Ideas:
- Grains: Quinoa, rice, couscous, potatoes, pasta
- Vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion, garlic, brussels sprouts, zucchini, butternut or acorn squash, sweet potatoes, peppers
- Protein: Ground turkey, ground beef, chicken sausage, turkey sausage, chicken breast, eggs, black beans, tofu, tempeh
The Presser Bowl
Serving Size: 2-3
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa*
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 links chicken sausage
- Additional ideas: broccoli, sweet potatoes, zucchini, corn, black beans, cauliflower
* We often use a frozen mediterranean quinoa that is steamed in the microwave – it’s super quick, easy, + tasty!
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in large pan. Sauté onion + garlic for 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add remaining veggies and cook until tender-crisp, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté chicken sausage according to package instructions.
- When everything is finished cooking, add quinoa + chicken sausage to veggie mixture. Stir in cheese and any other desired toppings (e.g. avocado + hot sauce) and enjoy!
Drop me a comment to let me know if you try out this recipe and if so, how you make it your own! 🙂